- 11 Tablespoons of softened butter
- 3/4 cup shortening, such as Crisco
- 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and shortening and once blended add sugar and cream until smooth. Scrape the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter and sugar mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Drop onto cookie sheets in amounts of about about 2 tablespoons. (I use a small cookie scoop)
The baking time on the original recipe calls for 10 minutes but my cookies took a bit longer, I took them out of the oven when the edges started to brown. This is a soft cookie, you can bake longer if you like the cookies a little firmer. I used a small cookie scoop, and if you chill the dough for 30 minutes prior the cookies will not flatten as much. let cool for 10 minutes before taking off of the cookie sheet.