This simple cake is slightly sweet, moist and easy to make.
Oatmeal Bundt Cake
I found this in my grandma's recipe folder. It was originally a sheet pan cake but I changed the measurements so it can be made into a bundt cake. Don't let the oatmeal keep you from trying this. With lots of brown sugar and butter, and a hint of spice, it is sure to become a go-to in your house.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 and a quarter cups of water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/3 cup unsifted flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- Grease and flour a bundt pan, don't skimp on this!
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a rolling boil, and as soon as it boils add rolled oats and melted butter. Stir. Turn off heat and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Add sugars and eggs to oatmeal. Beat to blend.
- Combine dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and stir just enough to mix. (mixture will be thin)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed with finger.
- Allow cake to cool at room temperature. If desired, frost with vanilla or cream cheese frosting. (Note: I had a container of store bought icing so I warmed it up and drizzled it onto the cake. And confession here, a little of the cake top stuck to the pan so the icing covered that piece right up!) Also, the cake is fairly sweet so icing really isn't necessary.)
Leave a Reply